Riot is an open, private and secure messenger application built with Matrix that allows you to chat, exchange files, make voice or video calls and conference. It also allows you to bridge other networks as well so you can use the Matrix ecosystems to talk in an IRC room as well.
To install Riot messenger on Kubuntu open Konsole and type,
sudo apt install -y wget apt-transport-https sudo wget -O /usr/share/keyrings/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg https://packages.riot.im/debian/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg echo "deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/riot-im-archive-keyring.gpg] https://packages.riot.im/debian/ default main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/riot-im.list sudo apt update sudo apt install riot-desktop
This will install Riot and add it to your sources.list so that it stays updated along with everything else. You might have to change the word bionic in the above commands for your version of Kubuntu.
Pressing enter after each line is input. You may also have too authenticate with your password and answer some questions. After installation Riot can be found in the Application Menu under Applications/Internet or by selecting the menu and typing its name.
If you want to set up Riot to use the KDE server the instructions can be found here.
- When GitLab proposed that Gitter could be stronger as part of the Matrix network, we knew we couldn’t miss the chance!
- Highlights from Element Web 1.7.6, 1.7.7 and 1.7.8
- Matrix can be the open protocol that brings instant – and cost-free – interoperability for real time communications across the NHS.
- In something reminiscent of David and Goliath, the stone of Max Schrems’ landmark legal challenge has shattered the Privacy Shield that protects centralised service providers.
- Element is built in Kotlin, so it has a much smaller and more maintainable codebase. The biggest focus has been on improving the user experience.
- Hi everyone,We are incredibly excited to announce that Riot is now Element! In fact we have simplified all our naming: Element is also the name for New Vector (the company behind Riot) while Modular, our flagship Matrix hosting service, has become Element Matrix Services.For those discovering us for
- Although Element is working with companies around the world, our busiest region is Europe and in particular European governments and public sector organisations.There are multiple reasons, but three of the biggest are:We’re a European company, so there’s a natural local understanding and practicalities such as time
- Quick update on the new features within Riot 1.6.6
- Hi all,It's almost four years since we launched Riot, and it's been a crazy journey – going from a relatively bare bones Matrix app through to today's all-singing, all-dancing encrypted-by-default collaboration tool used by folks ranging from Mozilla to the French Government and beyond.However, as some may know,
- Details of Riot.im release 1.6.3